Home » The Nature » The Territory

Migliarino Estate

The entry of the Salviati in the ownership of these lands, at the end of the fifteenth century, early 1500, struck the traditional use of the area and at the same time the rights of the inhabitants of pasture, estovers, hunting and fishing. This fact resulted in quarrels, transactions and recourses which lasted until the '40s of our century. Despite this, the Salviati, especially in the second half of 1700, enlarged their possessions buying and trading mainly with the Archbishopric of Pisa and the grand ducal assets, integrating in the property the estate of Poggio and other wetlands bordering the wood of Migliarino. In 1700, the estate stretched north to the border with the State of Lucca, east to the Lake of Massaciuccoli (to Fossa Magna - now covered - and the ditches of the Traversagna and Storrigiana), south to the Serchio embankment that separated a zone (the island) belonging to the Mensa Arcivescovile and to private individuals located in the bend of the river (about 44 hectares), west with the upstream moving line. In total the estate had a perimeter of 14 miles (about 23 km) and an area of more than 3200 hectares and was crossed longitudinally by the Via Regia of Pietrasanta leading to the Turret, at the entrance of Salviati's property. Close to the Turret stood a few houses, Salviati's house and a chapel, located in a non-forested area and made up of about 80 hectares of working lands.

From here a series of tortuous paths left which adapted to the flow of the "lame" (depressions full of water in winter), through which it was possible to reach the bank of the Serchio or Via di Focetta that cut across the estate and through which one could reach the sea or come back along the Strada Regia. Continuing on this road to Viareggio, near the lodge of the border, there was another path which led to the tower of Migliarino, located at that time on the beach and today inside the forest. According to descriptions of the time, this tower was similar to that of the Gombo in San Rossore; it had three floors and was armed with springalds. Parallel to the Strada Regia ran the Via della Chiesaccia which led to the church of S. Niccolò, now destroyed, and the Via di Padule, which limited the marsh areas that were desert and practicable exclusively on small boats, enclosed within the boundaries of the estate (about 500 hectares).

In the first decades of 1800 Salviati made a series of land reclamations which led to the parceling of land into holdings and the cultivation of the areas of the estate enclosed in the bend of the Serchio, where many farms arose (farms of Marina, Leccetti, Passatoie, Forcellone, Tagliate, Tagliatelle, Lama di Bagio, Isoletta, Boscaffiume, Pecoreccia, Querciole, Casanuova, Coton Moro.) Then, in 1854, under the direction of the technician Keller, the implantation of Stone pine started and the partition of the entire scrub in squares bordered by a dense network of roadways, with the arrangement that we can still detect. In order to limit the presence of water in the wood, numerous ditches and channels were also opened. Protected in the '60s by the attempt to parcel out the pinewood, this area, rich in Holm oaks, oaks, turkey oaks besides pine trees, is still characterized by the presence of the "lame" representing the environmental specificity of the park.
Marshes
(foto di Imbrenda Michele)
Marsh with pine trees on the background
(foto di Imbrenda Michele)